26.3.12

Moving Castle Dreams

I guess many fans have already watched Howl's Moving Castle by Studio Ghibli, but how many of you have actually read the book? It's an awesome awesome book by Diana Wynne Jones, whom, I just realized, died this day last year of lung cancer. How odd does the world turn?

Rest in peace, oh wondrous authoress! You gave the world many a good dream.

I remember watching Howl's Moving Castle when it just came out, which was a long, looong time ago. Long enough for me to not remember much of it. I remember buying the book after watching it, though (and it's sequel: Castle In The Air). Both books are absolutely amazing, really. I don't know, but it's just one of those books where scenes and images come to mind very vividly, with plenty of details. Some books tend to have hazy pictures, but not this one. 

And so, I watched Howl's Moving Castle again today. Well, technically I got back to it, because I watched a bit of it yesterday when I was testing the video out, but okay you didn't really need to know all of that, lol. All I'm saying is, it's amazing! Don't expect it to be a 100% like the book; it is an adaptation after all. Though sometimes the character's expressions tend to be a bit unnatural, they are all endearing in their own way. And maybe it's because I have a soft spot for small old women, but yeah. I giggled watching old Sophie and the ancient Witch of The Waste just because they looked so cute. 



And OHMAIGAWD the attention to detail! From the clumsy castle to the decorative mess of Howl's bedroom, each scene is just gorgeously packed with details. It made me feel like pausing at each new scene just to take in all the little details: the cluttered kitchen table, the bustling towns, everything. It just creates such a magical mood and sucks you right into the movie. If only it stayed truer to the book! But enjoyable nonetheless, haha. 


The only other Studio Ghibli movie I've watched is Spirited Away, but now I can barely remember anything. I shall re-watch it, and the other movies too! Which one is the one with the catbus? It looks so adorable, haha.

I guess it's all the little attention to detail that makes things magical. I guess I'm on the right track then :D. And one day I'm going to have a room just like Howl's! ^O^

Beat the Monday blues everybody~! It's Toosday in another 2 hours or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment