7.8.10

Alla Turca

Hello hello~

Heidi's songs are starting to grow on me. Haha. Still loving d'espa's album though.

Anyway, had to do research on a country of my choice for Creative Studies, and surprise surprise I chose to research on Turkey. Yeah, you probably thought I'd do Japan or something. But, nah. I already know quite a bit about the land of the rising sun, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to learn something new. And man, am I glad I did. Cause if I hadn't decided to look up on a place I know little to nothing about, I wouldn't have found out about the amazing Turkish Miniature paintings. It's a traditional fine art style developed during the Ottoman's rule over Turkey. Technically it can be classified as historical paintings, as they are mainly depictions of historical events such as victories, festivals, state affairs, etc.


Original miniatures by Matrakçi Nasuh

And then I had the great fortune of stumbling upon Turkish miniature artist, Nusret Çolpan. Really, it was love at first sight when I saw his painting! I feel so overwhelmed when I viewed his fabulous artwork. Then I came to the unfortunate realization that he has been dead for 2 years already. But not before leaving about 300 miniatures to be enjoyed the world over. I especially love the delicate swirls and the flow of the lines in his paintings. It really evokes a gorgeous, maical storybook feeling, especially when coupled with his unconventional themes.

Artwork by Nusret Çolpan

So...yes. Moral of the story? Don't be contented with what you already have. If I'd just wanted the easy way out, I could've easily grabbed a couple of obvious points about Japan/China/any random country I already know of and use that. But if you're willing to o the extra mile, more often than not you'd be pleasantly surprised with the results you get. I'm actually feeling really fed up right now over the whole 'contentment' thing, but I'll try to forget about it and mmob, lol. Right-o, off I go for now. Gosh, I'm feeling sleepy. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment